Monday, March 29, 2010

Starting to feel at home

Wow. I've reached the last loop in my old belt. My pants are sagging like a burlap sack race and my shirts are two sizes too big. It feels great!

We went to a raw potluck Saturday and that was a nice bit of encouragement. Talked to a guy about salt and how it's related to water retention. He says by cutting it out of your diet completely you can shed 10 - 15 lbs of water weight. Recomends reading some Douglas Graham.

I do eat a lot of salt. It's in all my recipes, salads, and most of my veggie juices. My favorite snack is tomato and salt. Olives , pickles, and everything I add to the plate. I tried some dulse flakes on my tomato salad today. Must have to use a lot more of that. (Dulse is a great source of iodine at 220% per tsp). I've also heard that iodine is esential in getting the toxins back out of my fat ass.

The most important thing though, to me, is that my mood is now very light and I just feel happy.

Gardens are God's gift. We must protect our right to grow our own food.

Soil. Mine was a super-dense clay which I've turned into a nutrient-rich loam with composted leaves and veggie scraps. It is a little bit of labor though.

Play in the Dirt. Dig a hole, put the dirt in your hands, put your hands in the dirt. It'll quiet your mood. It'll make you feel at home here on planet Earth.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Nice post, and congratulations on your weight loss. Yes, salt can be hard on a body. I was standing in line at the drugstore today, looking at this poor old guy whose ankles were swollen up about three times normal. I think he was buying candy and chips. A former coworker developed edema in her ankles too; she ate a lot of fast food. People don't make the connection at all. I like some salt myself. Maybe instead of eliminating it entirely you could experiment with using 1/2 of what you normally would. If your food starts to taste too bland, you might be tempted to eat some of that stuff at your restaurant.

I love growing things also, and it is very calming. I don't have a yard, but I grow herbs in pots.

Congrats again on your weight loss! You're on your way!

Tess said...

Yes! Playing in the dirt, soil, and gardens is literally grounding. I'm jealous, I wish so badly to have a garden!

Man on the Raw said...

Thanks for your comments. I think you're right, Melinda, about the salt intake and just cutting it in half. It's sad to see people with weight and health problems carrying around a bag of junk or fast food. But it's an addiction and one that I'm very familiar with. Hopefully the food industry will finally be exposed like the tobacco giants finally were. I'm sure they have lots of data on the addictive properties of salt, sugar and fat.

HiHoRosie said...

Congrats on your journey! That's got to feel so good right now.

And oh yeah, getting your hands in the dirt is amazing. I didn't use to but my hubby got me into gardening a couple years ago and man is it therapeutic! Love the energy from Mother Earth. We don't have a yard but belong to a garden community. It's great!