Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just Checkin' in

I've been working lots of hours lately and haven't had time to really process my thoughts. The bar I work at is a tough place to be raw vegan in. People don't have any grasp of the concept at all. I can tell them about it four times and they still look at me in horror when I tell them I don't eat meat. My family came up for lunch the other day and I fixed my wife a salad, explaining to my work-mates that she is raw-vegan and one of them said "oh, I'm sorry. Is she weak and feeble." No. I explained to him that she has a hypothyroid condition and that we wanted to follow a generally healthier lifestyle. I saw the sadness in his eyes as I told him I hadn't eaten meat since Christmas and I felt that he truly felt sorrow for me. If I couldn't eat meat how could I ever enjoy life. Why even get up in the morning? Maybe I need to get up earlier to find me a different job. But would that really solve anything.

People don't understand because first of all they find it impossible to believe someone could maintain health without eating carcinogins. This seems to be the very flaw in thinking that keeps our country obese and hooked on pharmaceuticals. It's a 'mob rules' type of mentality.

Should I care about what these people think about my diet? No. And I shouldn't feel like I need to make excuses for it. I eat this way because I want to.

If you don't like it you can kiss my greens.

No comments: